Greetings dear readers / salam buat para pembaca

Knowing that I say it better in writing, and I do love writing, I decided to write my experiences and thoughts in this blog so this is my e-diary.

Don't speak Indonesian? No need to worry, it is written both in Indonesian and in English.

Happy Reading, everybody !
__________________________________________

Buat saya mengungkapkan isi hati dan pemikiran lebih gampang dilakukan dalam bentuk tulisan dan karena saya juga senang menulis, saya memutuskan menulis hal-hal yang saya alami dan yang ada dalam pikiran saya dalam blog ini.

Untuk yang tidak bisa berbahasa Indonesia, jangan khawatir, blog ini saya tulis dalam bahasa Indonesia dan Inggris.

Selamat membaca !

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dad

Ulang tahun ayah saya sebetulnya jatuh pada bulan Maret. Tapi justru di hari ulang tahunnya, kondisi ibu saya menurun sehingga segala rencana ayah saya untuk masak dan bikin kue tertunda.

My father’s birthday is actually in March. But right on his birthday, my mother was unwell so he had to postpone his plan to cook side dish and to bake the birthday cake.

Ibu saya yang berusia 79 tahun itu kadang mengalami gangguan dijantungnya. Setahun yang lalu kondisinya demikian parah sehingga kami mengira akhir hidupnya sudah datang akibat perpaduan dari masalah jantung dan gondok. Tapi keajaiban itu datang dan kondisinya membaik.


My 79 year old mother sometimes had problem with her heart. Last year she was so in bad shape out of heart and thyroid problem that we thought her end was near. But miracle came and she got better.

Ayah saya telah melewatkan waktu mungkin hampir 20 tahun untuk merawat ibu saya.

My father has spent probably almost 20 years nursing my mother.

Cinta dan perhatiannya pada saya dan ibu saya melebihi yang dia berikan kepada dirinya sendiri.

His love and attention for me and my mother are more than what he gives to himself.

Awal April kondisi ibu saya membaik sehingga ayah saya dapat membuat kue ulang tahun untuk dirinya.

Early this April my mother’s condition improved and it enabled my father to bake his birthday cake.

Ayah saya jago masak tapi urusan kue adalah keahlian ibu saya. Berhubung usianya sudah lanjut dan kemampuan fisiknya terbatas maka ayah saya yang membuat kue, tentunya dengan mengikuti resep dan petunjuk ibu saya.

My father is the master chef in the house but when it comes to cake, that’s my mother’s expertise. But her age and physical have made my father became the one who takes over the cake baking stuff.. following my mother’s recipe and direction of course.

Proses pembuatan satu kue bisa bikin saya geli dan kadang pusing melihat dua orang yang sangat saya sayangi ini membahas resep dan prosedur pembuatan yang lengkap dengan berdebat, ngotot-ngototan dan ledek meledek.

The process of baking a cake sometimes made me laugh and other times gave me headache upon seeing these two people whom I love so much discussing the recipe and the procedure of making the cake that full with debate and teasing each other.

Soalnya ibu saya tergolong perfeksionis sementara ayah saya lebih cuekan.

It is because my mother tends to be a perfectionist while my father is an easy going person.

Hal lain adalah perbedaan dalam memasak dan membuat kue. Memasak tidak seperti membuat kue yang harus persis takaran bahan-bahannya dan cara pembuatannya.

Another thing is the difference in cooking with baking cake. Cooking is not as complicated and strict as baking cake that require precision measurement in the ingredients and in the baking procedure.

Kalau sudah pusing melihat dan mendengar mereka berdebat, saya memilih untuk mengundurkan diri dan baru muncul setelah kuenya jadi.. hehe..

Dizzy over seeing and hearing them arguing made me chose to retrieve and return only after the cake is served.. hehe..

Tapi beberapa tahun terakhir ini saya senang ikut waktu mereka sedang bikin kue. Selain karena ingin belajar, alasan utamanya adalah karena saya menyukai kebersamaan kami.

But in the past years I like to join them whenever they were baking a cake. Beside wanting to learn it, my main reason is because I like our togetherness.

Payahnya hari Senin, 31 Maret ketika mereka membuat kue ulang tahun itu, saya kepalang teler kecapean karena dari pagi sampai hampir tengah hari sibuk ganti seprei, nyuci piring, nyuci baju, nyapu, ngepel dan bebersih. Yah, mumpung libur.. tapi setelah semua selesai dan sehabis mandi.. saya ketiduran.. tepat di saat orang tua saya mulai membuat kue itu.


The thing is when they baked that birthday cake on Monday, March 31st, I was overcame with exhaustion after spending the morning to nearly noon to change bedsheet, washed the dishes, did the laundry, swept and mopped the floor, dusting.. I thought since it was a public holiday and I was home.. but after everything was done and after took a bath, I fell to sleep right at the time when my parents started to make that cake.

Yah, kuenya baru di hias dan bisa dinikmati hari berikutnya.

The next day the cake was decorated and served.

Tapi ketika kami bertiga berkumpul, bukanlah kue itu yang membuat ulang tahun ayah saya menjadi berarti.


But when the three of us got together, it wasn’t the cake that made my father’s birthday meant so much.

Mungkin sudah 2 tahun saya berhenti berdoa. Setahun terakhir ini saja saya sudah berhenti berpura-pura ikut ibadah. Tapi malam itu ketika kami berkumpul setelah berfoto-foto dan kue sudah dipotong, saya minta supaya ayah saya berdoa.

I have probably stopped praying for 2 years. I have even stopped pretend attending the service in the past year. But that night when we got together after taking pictures and the cake has been sliced, I asked my father to pray.

Saya tidak mengucapkan sepatah kata pun ketika kami berdoa karena saya tidak tahu apa yang harus saya katakan. Tapi air mata saya menetes ketika hati saya terisi dengan rasa amat sangat bersyukur. Saya tidak sedih. Saya terlalu amat sangat bersyukur. Saya ingat bagaimana setahun lalu, di bulan April juga, saya mengira saya akan kehilangan satu dari mereka.

I didn’t say a word when we prayed because I really didn’t know what to say. Tears flowed down as my heart filled with gratefulness. I didn't feel sad. I was just so very much grateful when my memory flew to last year, it was in the same month of April, when I thought I would lose one of my parents.

Orang tua saya mungkin bukanlah orang tua yang sempurna. Cinta mereka pun tidak sempurna. Tapi dalam segala ketidaksempurnaan itu, mereka mencintai saya.


My parents may not be the perfect parents. Their love isn’t perfect. But in those imperfectness, they love me.

Dan saya mencintai mereka melebihi dari apa pun juga.

And I love them more than anything else.

Dalam cinta itu, lewat cinta itu.. saya melihat dan menemukan Tuhan..

In that love, through that love.. I saw and found God..

Saya bersyukur untuk orang tua saya, untuk cinta itu dan untuk Tuhan..

I am grateful for my parents, for that love and for God..


Happy birthday, dad.. I love you so much, I love you too, mom.. and thank you God for giving me these two amazing people as my parents. I love you too, God and thank you for this love that binds us with each other and with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment